Pumpkin & Ginger Soup
Riverford’s Liz & Caroline Asteraki favourite recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1kg squash or pumpkin, peeled, deseeded & diced
- 5cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 tsp honey
- 1ltr veg or chicken stock
- milk to thin the soup
- sea salt & ground black pepper
- sprinkling of paprika or nutmeg
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the onion and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 mins, without colouring.
- Add the squash, ginger and honey. Stir and add the stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20-25 mins until the squash is tender.
- Blitz in a blender.
- Reheat, adding just enough milk to thin the soup to the consistency you want.
- Season and sprinkle over a little paprika or nutmeg to serve.