Castilian Garlic Soup Recipe - Sopa de Ajo
Recipe type: Soup
Sopa de ajo is a very old, peasant-style dish and is typical of the Castilla-Leon soups are popular, due to the long, cold winters in the region.
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3½ ounces Spanish cured ham, (subsitute cured ham like Virginia ham) cut into ¼” cubes
- 2-3 slices of day-old French-style bread, medium size - 4" x 2-1/2" x 1"
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 quart water
- salt to taste
- 6 eggs
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan. Add not-too-thinly sliced garlic. Before the garlic turns brown, add the cubed ham and the slices of bread. Sauté for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Add the sweet paprika, followed by the water and salt. Bring to a slow boil. Boil for 5-10 minutes.
- To poach the eggs, break them into the soup, and carefully add to the soup one at a time.
- Scoop out poached eggs one at a time into soup bowls. Then, slowly ladle the soup into each bowl.