Roast Garlic Soup
Recipe type: Soup
Four entire bulbs of garlic, roasted to sweetness, and incorporated in a creamy soup. You can stop at the puree stage, and refrigerate for up to one day before adding the cream and lemon juice.
- 4 bulbs garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, washed and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 5 tablespoons sherry
- 225ml single cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Cut off top ¼ inch of each garlic head. Place in a small, shallow baking dish. Drizzle olive oil over. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until golden, about 1 hour. Cool slightly. Press individual garlic cloves between thumb and finger to release. Chop garlic.
- Melt butter or margarine in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, leeks, and onion; saute until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Add flour and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in hot broth and sherry. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Puree soup in batches in a blender or food processor.
- Return soup to saucepan, and add cream. Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and white pepper. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with chives.