Quick Roasted Cauliflower Cheese
Author: By Liz Asteraki www.riverford.co.uk
Recipe type: Cauliflower Recipe
Cauliflower cooks very quickly in the oven, its flavour is intensified and it is a million miles away from the soggy cauliflower that many people have bad memories of being forced to eat. This is a quick, less fussy version of the classic cauliflower cheese. It avoids the béchamel sauce, and instead uses crème fraîche to bind everything together. It tastes wonderful and, even better, there’s very little washing up – in fact, you can mix everything in the baking dish if you like. It can be a warming side dish or a simple supper on its own. You could add leeks or bacon.
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 100g Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- handful of chopped chives (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Toss the cauliflower in the oil and sugar, season well and roast on a baking tray for 20 minutes, or until just cooked, then empty into a bowl. Increase the oven temperature to 200°C/Gas Mark 6. Mix the crème fraîche with the mustard and half the Gruyère and season. Mix in the cauliflower until coated and transfer to an ovenproof serving dish. Sprinkle with the rest of the Gruyère and the Parmesan and bake in the hot oven for 10 minutes until golden. Sprinkle with chives (if using).