Quick Braised Cauliflower
Author: By Liz Asteraki www.riverford.co.uk
Recipe type: Cauliflower Recipe
In this recipe the cauliflower is cooked slowly in its own juices with saffron and paprika, so that the flavour and colour of the spices are absorbed into the vegetable. It’s best to use a pan large enough for the cauliflower to fit in one layer so the florets get equal exposure to the heat. A large sauté pan would be ideal.
- pinch of saffron strands
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- handful of chopped mint and parsley (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- Soak the saffron strands in 3 tablespoons boiling water. Soak the raisins in enough boiling water to cover. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the cauliflower, almonds and garlic and stir-fry for 5 minutes until browned. Add the saffron with its water and the paprika. Mix well. Cover and leave to cook gently for 10–15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender. Drain the raisins of any excess water, mix them into the cauliflower, season well and finish with the herbs (if using) and vinegar.