Gluten Free Dumplings
Recipe type: Dumplings
- 100g of Dove's plain gf flour
- 1 tsp of a gf baking powder
- ⅛tsp salt
- ⅛tsp xanthum gum
- 40g of suet
- Sieve all the dry ingredients together. Add the suet. Then add enough water, a little at a time, until the mixture binds together.
- Take pieces of the mixture and roll into small dumplings - think the size of a large cherry tomato. You should make between 12 and 16 from this amount.
- The dumplings will cook in a simmering liquid in about 15/20 minutes. Either cook separately in some lightly salted water and then drain and add to your casserole to serve, or cook in the casserole - but there must be enough liquid for them to cook properly. Either way, the dish must be covered so that the steam is kept in to help cook the dumplings.
- I find the smaller dumplings are more likely to cook nicely and it means everyone gets some dumplings!
- Remember, it is VERY hard to get hold of gf suet. The normal suet - beef or vegetable - that you buy in the shop is NOT gluten free.
- I buy proper fresh suet from my butcher and render it myself (a messy smelly procedure!) or you can of course freezer butter and grate it, to mimic/replace the suet in the recipe.